One of my out-of-town ladyfriends is getting married in Vancouver this weekend (congratulations, Claire!). She hasn’t lived in the city for years but she’s bringing a gazillion guests from Europe with her so she asked for some advice on restaurants. I’ve upped the ante and started a list of the 29 best, most touristy things to do in Vancouver. Some of them involve eating. So grab your umbrella and sunglasses, friends (you never know what the day might hold). Let’s hit the town…
1. Go to Gastown. But skip the trinket shops and head to Vancouver-based boutiques like Lynn Steven, Oak + Fort, Roden Gray, One of a Few, Two of a Few, and vintage shops like Deluxe Junk and Gypsy Market.
2. Catch an up-and-comer at the Cobalt, the Biltmore, Fortune Sound Club, the Railway Club, or the Media Club. Or see a bigger band at everybody’s favourite venue, the Commodore. Check the Georgia Straight for listings.
3. Take a long walk on the beach. There’s nowhere more spectacular than Spanish Banks at low tide.
4. Get all Shakespearean at Bard on the Beach.
8. See the seawall at Stanley Park. Better yet, bike around it.
9. Get gelato on Denman and then walk to English Bay.
10. Go shuck yourself at Rodney’s Oyster House in Yaletown.
11. Sample sake and squid at Hapa Izakaya in Kits.
12.Get inspired at the Vancouver Art Gallery and then refuel on the cafe patio.
14. Stroll through yoga clothiers and skateboard shops on fourth avenue, but first, stroll through the emerging Armoury District.
15.Pretend you’re a sports fan and catch a WhiteCaps game.
16. Try a hot, hot caesar at the just-opened Oakwood Canadian Bistro in Kits.
17. Want to meet Vancouverites? Book at spot with the Social Feed.
19. Hike to the Peak of Seymour.
20. Join the crowd of tourists on the patio at Bridges late in the evening (I used to work there — holler!).
22. Make like a kid and spend all day at the Aquarium.
23. Sit on the patio and watch the sunset from the newly renovated Seasons in the Park.
24. Want to shop all the big North American clothing brands? Head to Robson Street.
25. Stuff your face with cotton candy at Playland.
26. Stuff your face with pizza at Campagnolo.
27. Take in the beauty inside the Museum of Anthropology and the beautiful views outside.
28. Fall head over heels (shoe pun!) at Gravity Pope.
29. Try a Japadog and then tell me what it’s like ’cause I’ve never actually had one.
What else do you want to add, folks? Share your favourite things to do in Vancouver in the summertime. Don’t be shy — get as cheesy and touristy as you like.